How to make easy and delicious, probiotic-rich Kimchi at home
Monday, April 10th, 2017
In this video I am going to show you how super simple it is to make a delicious kimchi that you can use in your meals daily.
- Napa Cabbage soaked for 3 hours in salt water
- 2 cups carrots in matchsticks
- 5- 6 cups of mini Daikon
- Green Onion
- Chili Flakes
- Stainless Steel Bowl
- Blender/Vitamix/Food Processor
- Glass Jar
- Cutting Board
- Cut the Cabbage into 1 inch pieces or pieces of about the same size
- Add the carrots matchstick size
- Add the Daikon, cut into thin coin pieces
- Add the green onions in 1 inch slices
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of salt for every 5lbs of vegetables
- Mix around using your hands so the salt starts to pull the water out of the vegetables
For the paste:
- Cut up 2 yellow onions and toss in the blender
- Cut up the ginger (you can leave the skin on) and add to the blender
- Add 5 cloves of garlic to the blender
- Add Chili flakes and more salt to the blender
Next pour the paste on top of the veggies in the bowl and massage in with your hands.
Taste you mixture
“You want it as salty as a Lays potato chip”
Add the mixture a layer at a time to the jar so you can push it down and get all the bubbles out.
Next clean the edges of the jar to prevent it from getting moldy.
Let it ferment for 3-4 days or up to 2 weeks and then put it in the fridge.
I hope you enjoyed this and it was helpful. Please let me know how this recipe turns out for you and share if you have a great recipe of your own!